News, introspective, insight & opinion from around the Major & Minor Leagues

News, introspective, insight & opinion from around the Major & Minor Leagues

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Good Looking and Brain Dead?

Earlier this month the NY Times ran a piece on new safer batting helmets that Rawlings was introducing that could withstand the impact of a 100-m.p.h. fastball, according to Rawlings and an independent testing organization. Most other models, when hit flush by a ball, are compromised at speeds in excess of 70 m.p.h.

Here were some player quotes about the helmet:

Jeff Francoeur, “No, I am absolutely not wearing that, I could care less what they say, I’m not wearing it. There’s got to be a way to have a more protective helmet without all that padding. It’s brutal. We’re going to look like a bunch of clowns out there.”

Nomar Garciaparra, “I want a helmet that’s comfortable and that doesn’t look bad.”

Mark Teixeira, “That would make me feel as if I were wearing a football helmet in the batter’s box. The one I’ve used for my entire career is fine.”

David Wright, “If it provides more protection, then I’m all for it. I’m not worried about style or looking good out there. I’m worried about keeping my melon protected.”


Shortly after Wright gave that quote he was hit in the head by a Matt Cain pitch and had to go on the 15 day DL. (Interesting that he was the only player the NY Times reporter could find that said that he would wear it)

Wright came back from the DL yesterday, and he did in fact have one of those odd looking helmets on. I see a lot of people on the internet making fun of him today (yes he does look a bit like Kazoo.)

Make fun of him if you wish, but this is his brain he’s protecting. Take one in the head like he did, and (if you got a second chance) you would probably wear one too. I hope Francoeur, Garciaparra, and Teixeira never have to find out for themselves. - Paul Leume
Paul Leume is a MLB columnist from Montreal, Canada. Paul, a one-time beat writer covering the Montreal Expos for the Montreal Gazette is a proud grandfather of 3 girls and now spends his time offering his thoughts and prospective on Major League Baseball on a variety of blogs and websites throughout Al Gore’s internet.

BallHype: hype it up! FantasySportsBlips: vote it up! Top Blogs TheSports100.com | Sports Toplist Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Please Show Your Support

Please Show Your Support
If you like what you read, please cast a vote at one or more of these sites to help our distribution.
Click Home for all Blog posts or search BLOG ARCHIVES in the Right Sidebar for more Blogs