News, introspective, insight & opinion from around the Major & Minor Leagues

News, introspective, insight & opinion from around the Major & Minor Leagues

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Roto-Rx - The Doctor is in...

The Doctor is in!

Question 1: It seems that we have a wave of high profile prospects that have just come up. Who do you view as the next set of guys to keep an eye out for? – Eleanor, Green Bay, WI

Eleanor: Keeping track of future talent is key to fantasy success, but please remember that Dr. Roto does not work at a free clinic. However, since I am a big Aaron Rogers fan I will give you a few names: Gordon Beckham (SS-CHW) is one to watch. He not only can hit home runs with his bat, but I heard that he can kick a few out of the park too. Also...Michael Bowden and Clay Buchholz (P-BOS). If you haven't already, take a look at their respective numbers in AAA. Unhittable. One of them may get traded at the deadline since they have Smoltz, Masterson, and a crowded bullpen.

Question 2: Jon Lester ($3) for Johan Santana ($28). I don’t have a realistic shot this year I don’t think, should I make the deal? I have a feeling this Lester kid is going to be something special. – Mike, Mineola, NY

Mike: Hmmm...how can a guy from Mineola tell me that he wants to trade the Mets staff ace for a Red Sox pitcher. I am revoking your NY Islander discount card! That said, I like Lester, but Santana at $33 is not such a bad deal. He is still a NL stud.

Question 3: If I know I am going to dump, is it better for me to do it sooner or later? I was thinking that I could get more back if I gave away players that could help someone else for 2/3 of the season. Or will I get a better deal if I hold out and they are desperate. – Mike, Sarasota, FL

Mike: First of all great question. Secondly, Dr. Roto LOVES Siesta Key. Ok, onto your question...ever notice who makes the best deals in baseball...Billy Beane. Why? Because he sets the curve (remember Mark Mulder and Tim Hudson??). You dump early, you get tthe pick of the litter. You dump late, you get the scraps left at the end.

Question 4: It seems that to have an actual DH on my roster would just hurt my flexibility because he doesn’t qualify anywhere else where a position player would at a minimum qualify at his position and at the DH. Do you agree? – Sal, Tamarac, FL

Sal: Couldn't agree with you more. Not sure how many util spots are in your league, though. If you use three, you can play a DH. If you use one, you lose position flexibility.

Question 5: Andruw Jones…... Done? I know he’s been playing a long time but he’s only 32! He actually has been playing pretty well so far. Is there any potential for a comeback in his career? Is he worth $1 as a possible keeper for next year? – Chris, Lynbrook, NY

Chris: Do you remember former Giants CB Elvis Patterson's nickname--Toast-- because he got burned so often. Put Andruw Jones on your team, and you are the new toast of your league.

The Doctor is on rounds for the next few days...see you all this weekend!

Mark Bloom (aka Dr. Roto) is the former owner of Roto-Rx, a fantasy website featured in a UPN newscast. He has been an active competitor and commissioner in fantasy leagues for close to 20 years winning numerous league titles.


Have a question for Dr. Roto?
BallHype: hype it up! FantasySportsBlips: vote it up! Top Blogs TheSports100.com | Sports Toplist Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Please Show Your Support

Please Show Your Support
If you like what you read, please cast a vote at one or more of these sites to help our distribution.
Click Home for all Blog posts or search BLOG ARCHIVES in the Right Sidebar for more Blogs