News, introspective, insight & opinion from around the Major & Minor Leagues

News, introspective, insight & opinion from around the Major & Minor Leagues

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

To deal, or not to deal... that is the question...

Trade offers are starting to pick up as the trade deadline moves closer. This morning I received an offer from another team owner that I did not like. Through e-mail we countered back and forth a few times until the exchanges died out. Then my phone rang, it was the other team owner doing his best to attempt to convince me that his offer was good for me.

In our league this is known as “doing a Provenz.”

After 5-10 minutes went by, we did not make a deal and concluded the call. After I hung up the phone I thought about the offer some more. And then it hit me. I recalled something a friend told me well over a decade ago. He said the following:

“If you have to explain to me why the trade is good for me then it’s probably not good for me.” His point was that if the reason for making the trade does not hit you right in the face then you shouldn’t make the deal.

Whether you are going for the money or looking to dump you will surly involved in trade talks this coming month. Keep in mind that if you are going to make a trade to improve your roster for this year or next, there should be a compelling reason to make a trade, a reason that is obvious to you.

It was good advice then and it’s good advice now. – Mike Cardano
Mike Cardano is the founder of Around The Horn and Ultimate Franchise Baseball ™.

BallHype: hype it up! FantasySportsBlips: vote it up! Top Blogs TheSports100.com | Sports Toplist Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Please Show Your Support

Please Show Your Support
If you like what you read, please cast a vote at one or more of these sites to help our distribution.
Click Home for all Blog posts or search BLOG ARCHIVES in the Right Sidebar for more Blogs