News, introspective, insight & opinion from around the Major & Minor Leagues

News, introspective, insight & opinion from around the Major & Minor Leagues

Friday, June 12, 2009

Roto-Rx

The Doctor is in...

Question1: I have Rich Harden in my team. I have stuck with him for 3 years now. He can be so frustrating but also so rewarding. I am in 1st place and trying to hold on so I can’t mess around. At this point, do I let him try to show me what he can do (I know he’s on the DL but his arm seems healthy) or do I let him try to show me what he can do while on someone else’s roster. – Jerry, Oakland, CA

Jerry: Tricky situation here. Let Harden get healthy and have about a month of good starts...and then trade him ASAP... Just in time for him to get hurt again (on someone else's team!)

Question 2: I read somewhere that generally rookie pitchers are not good to use the last ¼ of the season because they haven’t pitched that many innings before and are likely to wear down. I understand there are exceptions, but is that a theory you subscribe to? – Sharon, Lynbrook, NY

Sharon: Do you remember the story of Cinderella? At midnight she better get home or she's in trouble. Well, midnight for rookie pitchers is normally around 150 innings. After that, it's pumpkin pie. And yes, Dr. Roto believes all Disney stories are real.

Question 3: Jimmy Rollins is off to such a poor start. Can’t really call it just a bad start at this point because we are already 1/3 through. I’ve been offered him for a box of donuts basically, but he’s $26 and the rules in my league would mandate me to protect him for $31. I’m concerned about next year’s salary but I’m even more concerned about not getting $26 worth out of him this year. Your thoughts? - William, Oceanside, NY

William: First of all, a big shout out to Oceanside. If you need a good hardware store in town, go see my buddy Mike at Miller's Housewares and tell him that Dr. Roto sent you. If you tell him you love the Cowboys you may get a special discount! Ok, onto your question...do you HAVE to keep Rollins next year at $31 or can you throw him back? If you can keep him for the rest of the year and then throw him back in the off-season, I would. If you have to keep him, well I would see what I could get for him, but I wouldn't give him away. You can't teach talent, and Jimmy Rollins has talent.

Question 4: Need to settle a dispute here. One big game, must win. Jack Morris or Dave Stewart? – Vivek, San Jose, CA

Vivek: Is it just me or were you scared of Dave Stewart when he was on the mound? He looked like he would kill a batter for even fouling off one of his pitches. I'll go with him in a close one. Although I would dump them both for Curt Schilling.

Question 5: Going into a draft where you can protect players, if you have a choice, all things being equal, do you find it more beneficial to protect pitchers or hitters? Otherwise asked, is it harder to obtain pitchers or hitters at the draft? – Alex, Albany, NY

Alex: Dr. Roto can't answer that question with his usual authority because I am not in your league. You need to know what your other owners value. If they value hitting, then I would keep the hitter (otherwise you will pay more at the draft). If not, then keep the pitcher. The key is to always look for value wherever you can find it.

The Doctor is out...

Mark Bloom (aka Dr. Roto) is the former owner of Roto-Rx, a fantasy website featured in a UPN newscast. He has been an active competitor and commissioner in fantasy leagues for close to 20 years winning numerous league titles.

Have a question for Dr. Roto?
BallHype: hype it up! FantasySportsBlips: vote it up! Top Blogs TheSports100.com | Sports Toplist Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Please Show Your Support

Please Show Your Support
If you like what you read, please cast a vote at one or more of these sites to help our distribution.
Click Home for all Blog posts or search BLOG ARCHIVES in the Right Sidebar for more Blogs